After Uyuni, we were in desperate need of a hot shower and a comfortable bed. We planned on stopping in Potosi for a night but decided to skip it and headed straight to the charming colonial town of Sucre, Bolivia.

We arrived back from our Uyuni Jeep tour around 4pm and we paid 80 bolivianos each for a bus leaving at 6pm. Four hours later we arrived in Potosi and then had to transfer to a minivan that arrived in Sucre around 1am. The streets were dead quiet but we found our hotel, woke up the front desk, dealt with some confusion about our reservation and finally crashed after a long day.

We stayed at one of my favorite hotels, Hotel de Su Merced ($138 for two nights) which had a gorgeous courtyard and roof terraces.

Our first morning, at the suggestion of a few girls from our Uyuni tour we stopped by Joyride Cafe, not realizing until afterwards it was the ultimate backpacker bar/restaurant in town. I had some potato pancakes and fresh juice before we headed out to wander the main square and markets in town. We were a little overwhelmed by the number of people filling the markets and hesitated to buy souvenirs thinking we could find everything in La Paz (we couldn’t). We did end up buying one thing, a pair of travel themed prints by an Argentinian artist, Tintavlek, who was selling his illustrated prints while drinking his mate at the market. He was on the road headed north to Mexico selling his illustrations along the way. We picked two prints up dirt cheap.

After spending time in town we got lost heading to the top of town to La Recoleta Monastery. La Recoleta sits at the top of the city. Next door there is a little outdoor cafe with lounge chairs (Restaurant Mirador) looking out over the city view that we spent most of the afternoon admiring. We had a pitcher of sangria, crepes, meat and cheese (90 bolivianos) and sat enjoying sitting the warm sun. That night we thought about heading to another suggested restaurant, vegetarian Condor Cafe but we were so stuffed with meat and cheese we skipped dinner and had a hot chocolates instead at one of the many chocolate shops in town.

The next morning the streets were filled with people and we found out it was a parade in honor of Bolivia’s National Day Against Racism. We decided to walk to the outer part of town to see Parque Bolivar with its miniature Eiffel tower (now a teenager hang out spot). We wandered the parade streets again a bit before hiding out and having a somewhat quieter lunch at La Taverne. We were hoping to have one last city view from above before we had to leave for the airport at one of the churches in the middle of town but it was closed for the holiday.

We had our hotel order us a taxi to the airport (60 + 10 tip Bs) and the most hilarious car drove up tricked out very Fast and the Furious style. He even had flags that he stopped and removed when we hit the highway outside of town. The airport was pretty far from the city but it is very new. We checked into our 50 minute flight to La Paz glad we decided to forgo the overnight bus to La Paz.